Game Creation From A to Zinc !:
This page is divided into 3 main parts:1.Game Creators:(or Game Engines) Contains a list of various programs that can be used to create/develop games, both 2D and 3D, free and commercial.
2.Game Creation Tools and Utilities: (ALL FREE) Contains a number of general purpose as well as specialized programs to aid in the game design process and includes 3D modelers, texture generators, sound effect generators, icon editors and more.
3.Want more?: section: Contains a list of various websites related to game development such as sites for free games resources, game development tutorials, additional game creators etc.
Game Creators (or Game Engines):[59 programs]
[WML]= Windows,Macintosh and Linux(Refers to which platforms the game engine will run, not necessarily on which platforms the games created will run.)
*Note: The free (community) version will have less features than their subscription based version. "Create your game on virtually any platform. Whether it be on desktop or mobile devices, 001 can port your game for users to enjoy on multiple types of platforms, whether it be an iPhone or PC device."(from site)
1.There are 3 versions of this product. Student(Not free), Non-commercial(Free) and Commercial Version.
2. The Student version(20MB) and Commercial version(20MB) have the same features, but student version cannot be used commercially.
3. The Free version (10MB)has the least number of features, can't be used for commercial applications, has a 20 second nag screen and must be registered to obtain a free serial key which will be sent to your email account.
You can use it to create any sort of stand-alone, interactive 3D project for Windows Vista/XP. Ideal for CG artists and non-coders, but flexible enough to meet the needs of expert developers as well."
If you are a coder then you can try out their other site 3impact.com for their SDK.
Note: The Developer's website is not currently available.
The 3DSTATE WorldBuilder is currently used by more than 70,000 people.
The product has received the highest rating in every review including leading brands such as Tucows and CNet.Whether games, tourism, education, or else - no matter what your project is s about, using the 3DSTATE WorldBuilder editor you will get top quality results within extremely short time." (from site)
1. Requires mandatory registration to obtain free serial key.
2. Both 3D editor(10MB above) and 3D world builder are very similar applications with a few differences.
3. For programmers 3D State also have 3D Developer Studio: A Software Development Kit (SDK) that supports Visual C#, Microsoft Visual C++, Borland C++ Builder, Microsoft Visual Basic, Borland Delphi and Euphoria, free for non-commercial use.
If you don't know what adventures games are try these well known ones: 5 DAYS A STRANGER and 7 DAYS A SKEPTIC both created with Adventure Game Studio (AGS)
In Alice's interactive interface, students drag and drop graphic tiles to create a program, where the instructions correspond to standard statements in a production oriented programming language, such as Java, C++, and C#. Alice allows students to immediately see how their animation programs run, enabling them to easily understand the relationship between the programming statements and the behavior of objects in their animation. By manipulating the objects in their virtual world, students gain experience with all the programming constructs typically taught in an introductory programming course."(From site)
This product includes software developed by Carnegie Mellon University.
input, graphics, midi, sound effects, and timing. It is cross platform and works with many different compilers.
Originally developed by Shawn Hargreaves, it is now a group project with contributions from all over the world!
Some of its key features include:
- Ease of Use - comes with comprehensive documentation and examples
- Extensibility - if the built-in functionality isn't enough, there are many add-ons available
- Cross Platform - without changing a single line of code, you can create versions for Windows, OS X, Linux, DOS, and others! Works with many compilers, including DJGPP and VC++
- Open Source - anyone can contribute, including you!
- Free - it won't cost you a dime, and there are no restrictions on its usage" (from site)
Cafu is available to everyone as 100% free software under the GNU General Public License (GPLv3). It can be used to create a variety of 3D applications, including games, simulations, and training and architectural software. Written in C++, the tools, libraries and framework have been designed to make the development of new games and other 3D applications easy. They are actively and continuously developed in order to provide the latest technology.(from site)
Note: Construct Classic is no longer being improved by Scirra ( the developer) who has created an newer version called Construct 2 (commercial program)
Feature List of CopperCube
This program allows you to create worlds very similar to the look and feel of games such as minecraft.
This program is still in early development and is free while still in pre-alpha stage.
Cube(FREE): The older of the 2 game engines for making First Person shooter (FPS) style games. The engine is rather unique in that it is actually a game that you can edit rather than a game engine to make separate games. Supports single player and multiplayer type games(LAN games), you can edit the levels by flying around in them and changing the various objects with your mouse.
Cube 2(FREE): Is a redesign of Cube(1) resulting in much better graphics and more features and as well as a significant increase in file size.
*Note:The free version has a watermark on all games created, plus 10 object limit and 3 Scenes limit.
Dark Flow Pro doesn't have these limitations and supports more platforms (eg Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Ds, Sony PSP and Apple iPhone)
*Free Commercial Pro License The full DX Studio Commercial Pro edition is now free but requires registration to activate. To get your license key, please first give us (Worldweaver) a Like on Facebook and/or a Follow on Twitter. If you are not on either, we may be able to accept another social network. Please post in the New Users forum and we will PM if approved. (also from site)
Note:This is game engine that uses it own programming language.
"Scripting is implemented using a script language compatible with C language and allows a high level of development and flexibility."(From site)
Game Editor is designed to develop games portable across all popular platforms, including Windows (95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 7), Linux, Mac OS X, iPhone, iPad, Pocket PC, Handheld PC, GP2X and Windows Mobile-based Smartphones.
*Note: You are free to use this program for creating games provided that they are 100% Open Source and licensed under GPL v3 . Also games made with Game Editor will have a Powered by Game Editor splash screen depending on the license you choose. Click here for more information.
To get an idea of what can be made with gamemaker checkout Yoyogames.
1.The Free version has limitations and the Pro version can more features and can publish to Android.
2.Also the windows version works on Windows 7/Vista (only, no XP) and is in open Beta version, which means it may have bugs.
3. For windows users, you will need to provide a valid email address before you can download Game Salad Win Creator.
3.During installation, Game Salad may download additional required software from the Internet, mainly Visual C++ 2010 run-time libraries, if you already have them it probably will not access the internet.
*Note: The free version has limitations. You can also compare it to other game engines.
Gemix Studio intends to be officially the new DIV Games Studio 3 and tries to offer the most possible services in order to develop any 2D or 3D games, either software or hardware. The final version will be a product with different versions (licenses FREE and commercial), so, it can satisfy every kind of user (from the beginner user to specialized companies).
Nowadays we have just a language developed among all those which will form Gemix Studio: Gemix
NOTE: the BETA version usage is FREE and valid until the FINAL version (see = README =.TXT for license info)"(from site)
MEGAKERMA is a complex system. In the Game Editor you can create your 3D world, add textures, models and sounds. You can place static elements, make them pushable or collectable, define dialogs, set up animations, add your game logic via a very simple scripting language called KermaScript." (from site)
*Note: All games made with Megakerma will have a splash screen with the words: " Created with Megakerma-www.megakerma.com".
Also the program will try to access the Internet when loading to check for updates. Also the game engine is focused on creating adventure/puzzle/explorer game creation system for non-shooting games.
Monkey games can then be run on potentially hundreds of different devices - including mobile phones, tablets, desktop computers and even videogame consoles." (from site)
Note: Demo is available (7MB), full version has unknown size.
Here's a sampling of features you can find in M.U.G.E.N:
- Customizable title screen, character select screen, life and bars, game sound effects, fonts and more.
- Characters can have any number of sounds and sprites of any size limited by your computer's memory.
- Choose from multiple resolutions, ranging from 320x240 up to full HD at 1920x1080.
- Cutscenes, intros and endings." (from site) If you want to see the documentation (including tutorials) click here. You may also want to download MUGEN games, to see what can be done.
The “framework code” was completely developed in C/C++ and allows compiling for every platform. The “platform code” is developed platform-specifically in C/C++, Objective C and Java and can hence only be compiled for the particular platform. Application development (“user code”) is performed in C++ and/or LUA according to the API provided. It is possible to create a native application for each supported target platform from these three components: user code, framework code and platform code. "(from site)
Target Platforms:Android, iOS, Mac, Windows
*Note: A free version of the MURL engine is available but includes a 'notification overlay' that displays "powered by Murl Engine" whenever a games runs, and also lacks premium support, more information here. Although premium support is available to the paid for versions or for a fee (when using the free version).
These are some of the features:
- Very easy to learn
- Create standalone programs for Windows
- Generate Java applets for the web
- Export and import libraries
- Use the NaaLaa standard libraries and tools to make advanced games in no time
- It is freeware"(from site)
The worlds/games/mods it makes can be played under Windows, OS X, and Linux without changes.
Can create stand-alone games for Win and Mac, from either platform!" (from site)
- Easy to use WYSIWYG visual novel editor.
- Visual point & click programming with "Actions".
- No actual programming required.*
- Create and share art assets easily.
- Hardware-accelerated graphics.
- Play your visual novels in and out of the editor.
- Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7.
* No coding is required. A scripting language is available for advanced"(from site)
OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine) is a scene-oriented, flexible 3D engine written in C++ designed to make it easier and more intuitive for developers to produce applications utilising hardware-accelerated 3D graphics. The class library abstracts all the details of using the underlying system libraries like Direct3D and OpenGL and provides an interface based on world objects and other intuitive classes.
What can it do?
Lots of things! See the features page for an up-to-date list of the current features. Also, take a look at the screenshots page to see for yourself the kinds of eye candy OGRE can pump out.
Is OGRE a Game Engine?
No. OGRE can be (and indeed has been) used to make games, but OGRE is deliberately designed to provide just a world-class graphics solution; for other features like sound, networking, AI, collision, physics etc, you will need to integrate it with other libraries, something several frameworks have done, and we have a collision / physics reference integration library as an example in our distribution." (from site)
Supported Programming Languages:C++, as well as Python, .NET and Java using wrappers.
Projects using OGRE including games.
Its mains advantages are :
- User friendly, you can create a whole interactive 3D scene, with great graphical quality, without writing any code.
- Power, lots of functionality are directly included, realizing an OpenSpace3D application consist in linking functionalities together, and defining theirs mutual interactions.
- Technological advance, our team keep searching for and integrates the last technologies in domains of virtual reality, speech recognition, and computer graphics.
1. The are several versions of this game creation tool but this is the most common.
2.Make sure you download all 3 (Rm2K_105E.exe,RTPe.exe,rtp132e.zip) files on the website as they are all required for RM2K.
3.If you haven't played an RPG game before try Final Fantasy Endless Nova(6mb) which is made with RM2k.
4. There may be legal issues with this program.
**Note: The website (not sure about the game engine) is still under construction which means no tutorials, no help files(not even in the 83MB download!) and no functioning community as of writing this article. The screenshots of the engine still look impressive though.
Find out more about the features here."(from site)
- Standard image formats: BMP, PNG, JPEG, GIF
- Animated images (GIF)
- Supported sound formats: WAV, MP3
- Trigger system
- Customizable HUD
- Full WYSIWYG Editor
- Built-in graphics editor with alpha translucency and anti-aliased tools including rotation.
- Frameset editor to designate real-time anti-aliased transforms without storing transformed copies of graphics.
- Multi-layer parallax scrolling map editor.
- Support for animated and overlapping tiles.
- Generates Visual Studio projects for enhanced editing and debugging.
- Project format includes all game resources and code in one file for easy extensibility and portability.
- Export fully functional games to HTML5 to play on other platforms."(From site)
- Full 3D editor
- Animated 3DS, X and B3D model support
- High quality textures with mip-mapping
- 3D sound and music (mp3, ogg, wav, xm)
- Predefined and UV mapped static elements
- Trigger system
- Predefined enemy AI
- Customizable HUD
- Animated weapon movement
- Encrypted resources
Rewritten Game Editor and Game Engine
- Improved enemy AI
- Added game scripting via GML
- Added multi-floors with built-in stairs creator
- Added new Weapon Editor
- Added melee weapon handling
- Added weapon animations
- Added pixel perfect shoot/attack hit handling
- Added fully scriptable player HUD
- Added animated texture support (even on HUD)
- Model formats: MAN, GM, OBJ, MD2
- Texture formats: PNG, BMP, GIF, JPG, TGA, PCX, GMSPR
- Added 3D Particle System
- Added Skybox
- Added built-in model editor
- Added Smart Packer Pro (pack everything into a single exe)" (From Site)
"Note : The ShiVa Web Edition (Free, non time-limited and without watermark) is a ShiVa unlimited version for publishing 3D on your web site. Use it for your full online games, mobile/console game previews and facebook 3D applications.
Download ShiVa Web Edition (~637MB) "(from site)
Note:The free version can only output to flash format (*.swf)
1. Paid for versions remove watermarks.
2. You will need to register the product to start using it (even with free version), which will need a valid email address where the pin code can be sent. After which you should be able to use it offline.
3. Additional content packs can be downloaded here.
Multimedia Fusion2 Is the current successor to Games Factory 2 and has the most functionality while still allowing beginners to create games without any programming knowledge.
Note: If you are unsure of the Games Factory\Multimedia Fusion then you can try an old predecessor: Klik and Play(5MB)[direct download] which can be found at Marty's Website.
The entire TV3D SDK has been built from the ground up to give the programmer total control over every aspect of their 3D world. Complete control is maintained through a very easy to learn system of objects, each with a very specific set of functions. This easy to learn system still gives you all the power of programming with DirectX, without having to learn a complex API." (from site) Supports C++, C#, Delphi, Java, Visual Basic 6, and Visual Basic.NET. You can see the complete features list here.
There is an evaluation version available, that would add a watermark on the games created.
1.The free version will make watermarks on the games created.
2. The Pro version will have more features.
Wizapply will continue to support three goals:
1. Eliminate Study of API Group according to Many Devices and Operating Systems (Cross Platform). 2. Eliminate Study of the Various Programming Methods (C/C++ Language Only). 3. Eliminate Making Brief Processing Code Which Tends to Become complicated"(Paraphrased from site)
Recommended for more experienced users as the format of the game editor will be very familiar to coders.
Free Game Creation Tools and Utilities:(Yes all free!)[47 programs]
( Free Game Development Tools, Free Game Development Software)
Accepts BMP, JPG, PNG and ICO image formats.
Note: You will need to create the images using a separate program like GIMP and then import them into the program.
Remember that you have to create your own cover images for the side and front of the 3D box shot before you use this program. (And it may be a bit slow in rendering the box shot)
Note: Sometimes the compressed program may not work so always test the compact program afterwards!
Anim8or is a 3D modeling and character animation program that I have written over the past couple of years, not as a commercial endeavor, but because I love 3D graphics, animation, and programming. While it is far from a complete professional level application like 3DStudio MAX or Lightwave, I believe that it has enough capability to be of use to others.(copied straight from home page)
Input&Output formats supported:3D Studio (*.3ds),Lightwave (*.lwo),Wavefront (*.obj), its own (*.an8)
- Sprites are composed by layers & frames.
- Supported color modes: RGBA, Indexed (palettes up to 256 colors), and Grayscale.
- Supported image formats (load/save): PNG, GIF, JPG, FLC, FLI, BMP, PCX, TGA, and ASE (special format).
- Load and save animations in a sequence of bitmaps (e.g. frame1.png, frame2.png, etc.).
- Tiled drawing mode, useful to draw patterns and textures.
- Undo/Redo for every operation.
- Multiple editors support. You can split an editor horizontally or vertically multiple times to edit and view the same sprite with different zooms, or different sprites.
- Import/Export Sprite Sheets.
- Pixel art specific tools like filled Contour & Polygon.
- Onion skinning" (From site)
Bitmap sizes (64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048) Support for up to 2 fonts on one bitmap image.
- Saves font texture in 8-bit TGA, 24-bit TGA, 32-bit TGA, RAW or BMP format
- Automatic font sizing
- Automatic texture sizing – pick your font sizes and the texture will automatically be resized to fit that font.
- Character justification settings
- Grid color adjust
- Option to save character widths to binary or INI file
- Option to save character ABC Widths to binary file
- Copy texture image to Windows’ clipboard
- Support for complete Unicode 5.1 character set, as well as 8 bit OEM character sets
- Optimal use of texture space, i.e. as little unused area as possible
- Support for kerning pairs
- Easy to use file format, either normal text file or xml files. Binary format is available for those that prefer that
- 8bit or 32bit texture output (TGA, PNG, and DDS files)
- Option for packing 4 layers of font images into 1 32bit texture. Needs special shader to render with, but saves a lot of memory
- Anti-aliasing, both through Windows native font smoothing and super sampling
- Configurable padding and spacing between characters
- Select characters from text file, supports both UTF8 and UTF16 encoded files
- Generate bitmap font from command line
- Import colored images as characters, supports: bmp, jpg, tga, dds, png
- Optional outline to font characters
- Optional packing of characters with outline into 1 channel. Needs special shader to unpack during rendering, but saves a lot of memory
- Use TrueType fonts directly from the file without installing them first
Blender Wikipedia Page
1.The author is no longer developing this program.
2.Repacked: should work on XP and above.(had old installer )
- Imports WaveFront OBJ, MilkShape3D ASCII, Autodesk 3DS
- exports WaveFront OBJ, MilkShape3D ASCII, Autodesk 3DS, Nebula N/N3D, DirectX X (v7 and v8), Quake2 MD2, BlitzBasic B3D
- You can also add you own with the SDK
Registration Key: 5b2fe4
CharacterFX Tutorial PDF (The Game Creators newsletter issue 71)
Wings 3D and CharacterFX Tutorial (By GoldenXp.com)
DeleD focusses on five areas to provide in your daily modeling needs. These are:
- Geometry Editing: DeleD has lots of tools to modify 3D objects, including Smoothing and Boolean Operators
- Animation: DeleD provides a basic animation system allowing you to create animated objects in no-time
- UV Mapping: DeleD has a build-in UV editor, enabling you to skin your objects in detail
- Lightmapping: DeleD lights up your world with advanced lightmapping functions
- Raytracing: DeleD can create stunning pictures with its build-in raytracer
For a more lightweight program with a good number of features you can try Magix Photo Clinic (10MB) (Download at Cnet.com) listed on the free software page.
To use iexpress[In windows]:
1. Get to the run dialog box [press and hold windows key and r on the keyboard]
2.Type iexpress in the run dialog box and press enter.
3.Choose your options and you're done !
1.I'm providing a direct download link to gpinstall because its website no longer seems to support it.
2.Not sure if gpinstall will work with Vista or Windows 7
"With Enigma Virtual Box, you can virtualize any types of files, dynamic libraries (*.dll), ActiveX/COM objects (*.dll, *.ocx), video and music files (*.avi, *.mp3), text files (*.txt, *.doc), etc. Enigma Virtual Box does not extract temporary files to the HDD; file emulation is performed in the process memory only. The supported versions of Windows include Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 and Windows 7." (from site)
- Create countless different explosions. Each explosion is randomized and all important parameters can be changed
- Exports to PNG complete with an alpha channel. No more black backgrounds and additive blending for your explosions anymore. The result texture inlcudes a full alpha channel
- Different texture sizes (from 256×256 up to 4096×4096, depending on wether your graphics card can manage that)
- Different grid sizes for setting the number of animation frames on a texture (4×4, 8×8, 16×16)
- Use your own particle textures. Either use the included ones I made from scratch or create your own particle textures and use them
- Change the parameters. All parameters used to calculate the explosion animation can be changed to make each animation unique
- Watch your explosion within the application. After generating a texture, it’s shown in realtime together with a preview of the animation." (From site)
The original developer's website not longer works. http://sysimage.250free.com/
Note: 1. You need to register the program, before you can use it (which includes creating an account with Turbosquid) .
2. Help files (15Mb) and tutorials (14MB) are separate downloads.
3. The program is no longer supported but you can use the turbosquid forums.
Note: This is the 'free' version of their more powerful L3DT Professional program. And will have some limitations.
UV coordinates of low poly models. It can unwrap a 3D model and
export the UV map to a bitmap which can then be painted. (from ReadMe)
Note:This is the freeware predecessor of the commercial program: Ultimate Unwrap 3D.
- "Song-Editor for composing songs
- A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
- An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
- An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
- Many powerful instrument and effect-plugins out of the box
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and MIDI
- Import of MIDI and FLP (Fruityloops® Project) files" (From site)
The output can be in PNG (requires separate plugin) or in the supported FMP format. Your tile graphics should be in a BMP, PNG, PCX or TGA picture. Mappy supports the use of FMP maps in a variety of game creation tools(by downloading required files) including DirectX,Allegro,OpenGL,Java,CDX, Delphi,Blitz Basic,Blitz Max,GBA,GameMaker,GL Basic and XNA.
Note this is the free version the pro version has more features.
Its another node-based texture generating tool for creating high quality seamless textures. Support textures of up to 2048 pixels (and above.)
Output formats supported: DDS, BMP,JPEG, PBM, PNG, PPM, XBM and XPM.
Note: The program may try to access the Internet for downloading required DirectX files, and to update the program. Otherwise Internet access in not required.
Note: Textures (currently) can only be exported in the .ply format .
Misfit Model 3D is no longer under active development.
Outputs PNG files at 256x256, 512x512,1024x1024 pixels and custom sizes also available. To export the textures right-click the node with the required > select Export Image and choose a required image size.
Requires Java 1.6 or above to run.
1.The program needs to be registered with a username and code, both of which are available from the downloads page. (its free)
2. Make sure to download the zip version as the installer may not work in XP and above.
The program allows the use of samples (called "voices") for music composition and allows the input of samples in .wav, .ogg, .pcm, .ptvoice, and .ptnoise formats and output as .wave (wave format) or if you are using GameMaker you can use PxTone as a music engine throught the use of the included DLL library.
Note: The link listed above for PxTone links to the English version of the program as well as the great 95 page PxTone manual created by GRYZOR87 in a 9.7MB rar file. The download is listed as PXtone_manual_2010.rar but contains the whole program plus the manual.
PxTone Wikipedia Page
Developers Website(Japanese)-----(Google Translated version in English)
Piston Source (Additional PxTone Resources)
1.This is an EXTREMELY powerful tool that can change a lot more than just icons (see pic) in programs(.exe) and DLLs(.dll) so use with caution!!!
2. To start using the program you can check out this tutorial.
"Users can pull, push, pinch, and twist, similar to modeling clay. It is geared toward character sculpting and "organic" models." (From Wikipedia)
Note you will need to enter your details to get the program. The download link will be sent to your email address.
Wikipedia Page for Sculptris
Requires Java 1.6 or above to run.
Includes presets for Flowers, Stones, Stairs and Arches.
Sculpty Paint Wiki
Note: You may need a good graphics card to use the 'noise' option in the program, if your graphics card doesn't support the function and you use the noise option the program will exit with and error. (pic from site)
Adding more 'billboards':
In Spacescape, billboards are actually images stored in the media>materials>textures directory. There are about 11 that come with Spacescape and you use them to create the stars in the program. We can add more for free, here's how.
- Download the shareware version of the excellent Universe Image Creator Standalone version(~700KB) (you could also buy it if you want) and install it.
- Launch the program and choose from enabled buttons on the menu bar and 'draw' on the black area. You can draw many different objects from the menu and change their color. Save your work as a JPEG image.
- Crop the JPEG so that there is only one object per picture. You can use MS paint if you need to.
- Copy all the individual pictures to the media>materials>textures directory of the Spacescape folder.
- You can now use them in the program, make sure that from the Layer type: option that billboards is selected and then type the name of the image you want to use in the Billboard Texture option (at the bottom)
"Pixel 3D is the professional's choice for creating and converting 3D logos and objects. Use Pixel 3D's powerful auto-tracing facilities to automatically convert your scanned or Windows Bitmap (.BMP) logos into 3D outlines. Then use Pixel 3D's Logo Wizard to easily extrude and bevel your logo." (from help file)
- Supports sketch-based modelling which makes it easier to create models.
- Supports the importing of textures.
- Exports to .OBJ, .STL, .COLLADA and .MeshLite formats.
- Mirroring and hollowing operators added to recent build.
1.While the program can be easier to use than conventional 3D modelling programs, it is highly recommended that users read the included manual or at least watch the videos listed on the site to get use to interacting with ShapeShop. This is because ShapeShop uses techniques to create and manipulate 3D models that is unlike (almost) any other 3D modelling program!
2. The program is still in beta and some features may not be functioning as yet.
Tattoo is a free alternative to programs like BodyPaint3D (commercial) and Blacksmith3D(commercial) but with fewer features.
- Supports .3DS / .LWO / .X / .OBJ and .B3D file formats natively
- Create your own brushes (see included ReadMe.html)
- Tattoo Images into your Mesh (PNG, JPG, BMP and TGA formats)
- GFX Tablet support with Alpha Pressure.
- Free for non-commercial and commercial use.
- Import custom textures for snow, grass, water etc...
- Supports creation of texture maps of up to 4096 x4096 pixels.
- Preview the texture map in 3D.
- Blurs texture maps based on sun position and orientation.
1.This version is free for non-commercial use, using for commercial applications requires purchase and registration .
2.Terragen 2 is also available in a free (for non-commercial use)version but with higher system requirements.
3. The paid for versions have no such restrictions.
4.Creating a skybox using Terragen by Valve Development Community.
5.Free Terragen Atmosphere files
Similar function to Mappy for creating maps and levels for 2D games especially for 2D platform games. Output is in bitmap (*.bmp)and png(*.png).
1. If the program asks for a serial key use this: 5300311729374
2.This version is completely free and legal to my knowledge.
3.If you want to learn how to use Truespace 3 click here.
4. Feature list of Truespace. (External site)
.werkkzeug 1 Only allows to create non-interactive 3D demos like the popular demo and the demos can be as small as 64KB including player.
.werkkzeug 3 "With this new version of .werkkzeug you can create not only demos, but games too. This version is limited because it is unable to create exe files, but you can simply use .wz3 as player or render video. WZ3 provides many functions, such as anaglyptic rendering, doing advanced animation, wavelet-transformations and advanced video effects. "(from site)
Note:These tools are very powerful and need a good graphics cards to use them. Also make sure you read the tutorials to see how to use these tools. For more information click here.
.werkkzeug 3 was one of the tools used to make .kkrieger
Originally inspired by Nendo and Mirai from Izware, Wings has been developed since 2001, when Björn Gustavsson and Dan Gudmundsson first started the project. Richard Jones (optigon) maintained Wings and coded most of the new additions between 2006 and 2011. Wings 3D is currently maintained by Dan Gudmundsson (aka dgud at github and sourceforge).
Wings 3D offers a wide range of modeling tools, a customizable interface, support for lights and materials, and a built-in AutoUV mapping facility. " (From Site)
There is no support in Wings for animation.
Wings 3D primer (By GoldenXp.com)
You can also create images for basic 2D games like Breakout with minimal effort. (example)
Even more Game Creators:
ADRIFT: A program to create interactive text adventures or interactive fiction.
Arcade Game Studio (Still in development and uses no coding/programming)
Adventure Creation Kit(21MB) : Game creator for creating 1980's style games like Ultima and Questron.
Ambrosine's resources page (Note some of the game makers on the page may no longer be available)
3Dxo.com (3D game engines list)
Wikipedia Game engines list
Ray Game Designer 2 (3MB) Old Free 3D game creator (which doesn't need coding), note the help file is only in French!
Game Makers List from g4g.it ( Note:Lots of duplicates)
Power Game Factory: Open Source 2D side scrolling game creator only for the MAC
Pendix: 3D modelling tool to create simple blocky shapes easily, still in early development.
Game Development: General
NetLogo is a multi-agent programmable modeling environment. It is used by tens of thousands of students, teachers and researchers worldwide.
Big List of Game Design by Pixelprospector: Very comprehensive list of game design articles.
BAFTA Video Game competition for young game designers.
Game Development Blog by Chris DeLeon.
Retroremakes.com's Useful remaking Resources. (list of game creation resources and tools)
OpenGameart.org Huge list of game resources including 2D, 3D, sound and textures Free for non-commercial and Commercial use, read the FAQ if you want to use the resources in a commercial game (as some licenses require the source code of the game to be released. ).
IndieGameTools: Big list of game making tools in a somewhat funky website.
Big List of 3D modellers, terrains generators and more. (Including free and commercial programs)
The Game Creators Newsletter Lists recent game developments as well as game tools and even games!
Reiner's Tilesets-Source for game resources like 2D sprites,3D models, textures, sound effects and more.
Skyboxes and Sounds(midi and wave format) from redsorceress.com. If you don't know what a skybox is click here.
Another good list of game development tools maintained by the Ogre3D community. (Free and commercial)
More free skyboxes and textures by http://www.3delyvisions.com
Free Sound effects, 3D models and textures by Psionic's 3D Game resources
60 excellent Free 3D model websites by Kay Tan
Free background music for any purpose. Categories include: Rock, Pop, Disco and Electronica among others. You can also preview the music online. You should also read their FAQ for more info. The music is in MP3 format.
Copyright © 2012-2013 Freegameslist.weebly.com